some gui programs like gparted (very nice harddisk partitioning program) won’t start as root.
hostnamectl; # tested on Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) Kernel: Linux 4.19.0-13-amd64 Architecture: x86-64 su - root; # become root gvim; # fails with E233: cannot open display gparted; # fails with (gpartedbin:10160): Gtk-WARNING **: 22:38:52.297: cannot open display: # how to fix this export DISPLAY=':0.0' cp -v /home/user-running-x11-session/.Xauthority /root/.Xauthority # then try to start it gparted # or gvim
liked this article?
- only together we can create a truly free world
- plz support dwaves to keep it up & running!
- (yes the info on the internet is (mostly) free but beer is still not free (still have to work on that))
- really really hate advertisement
- contribute: whenever a solution was found, blog about it for others to find!
- talk about, recommend & link to this blog and articles
- thanks to all who contribute!