Hello data travelers,
cudos to the palemoon.org project, an excellent fork of Mozilla Firefox (migration is a breeze, even the hotkeys & shortcuts are the same like ALT+D “select address bar”).
ln -sv /home/user/software/browser/palemoon/palemoon /usr/bin/pale
which would allow starting it via Alt+F2 and typing “pale” + ENTER
(which is often much faster than the searching for the icon in a menu, in a taskbar or on the desktop via mouse)
but results in: “Could not find the Mozilla runtime.”
Searching the forum it says “needs to be accessible as a file” and build a wrapper, so tried a bunch of stuff.
what ultimately WORKED was:
1. instead of linking directly to the palemoon-bin
2. create a script /usr/bin/pale with the following content:
#!/bin/bash /home/user/software/browser/palemoon/palemoon https://callthissiteforstartup.com
3. mark it runnable
chmod +x /usr/bin/pale
4. now running it like opening up a new non-root terminal and typing pale works just fine 😀 also Alt+F2 startup no problem 😀
so the “trick” was to pass it an argument 😀 and it stopped complaining.
now to get to lightning fast 3-letter startup the user can do: (allowing to start the very-often-used-program with Alt+F2 typing “pal” + ENTER)
ln -sv /usr/bin/pale /usr/bin/pal
PS: for completeness the mozo created
~/Desktop/pale.desktop has the following content:
cat pale.desktop #!/usr/bin/env xdg-open [Desktop Entry] Version=1.0 Type=Application Terminal=false Icon=/home/user/software/browser/palemoon/browser/chrome/icons/default/default48.png Icon[en_US]=/home/user/software/browser/palemoon/browser/chrome/icons/default/default48.png Exec=/home/user/software/browser/palemoon/palemoon Name[en_US]=pale Name=pale
now it starts like a charm 😀
- only together we can create a truly free world
- plz support dwaves to keep it up & running!
- (yes the info on the internet is (mostly) free but beer is still not free (still have to work on that))
- really really hate advertisement
- contribute: whenever a solution was found, blog about it for others to find!
- talk about, recommend & link to this blog and articles
- thanks to all who contribute!