- “was writing FORTRAN in TMG” “when it finally got down to 4k, called it B“
- “B and C were very very similar languages except for (variable) types”
- “rewrite the kernel in C and failed 3x times, 3x total complete failures, blamed it on the language”
- “when structures came in, the port of UNIX to C on the PDP-11 worked, before that it was TOO COMPLICATED” (and THAT is the reason why the UNIX K.I.S.S philosophy can not be STRESSED enough)
about the C lang:
Because of it’s simplicity and speed, the C lang, is the fastest and most ported language on this planet. (there is basically no CPU that can not run C somehow, almost no system for which no C compiler exists)
It is still widely used and considered a milestone in the age of computing, so over 50 years later, it is still worth learning C.
The GNU Linux kernel is basically all C.
IT and Cyber Security was not really a problem in the 1970s, but because of C’s problems with buffer over and under-runs, more and more “around” the kernel will be written in another high-level language RUST that does not has those problems.
thanks for sharing!
fun fact: computers ALWAYS were ment for gaming! (let that sink in Apple!)
Thompson wrote games for the pdp-11!!!
“Throughout his career at the Labs, Ken devoted amazing energy to games of various kinds” (src)
- “Space Travel“
- “A graphical-interface 3D tic-tac-toe program (4x4x4) run with the light pen” (src)
- “Many of these were written for his son Cory, then at just the age to play with them” (src) (isn’t THAT nice?)
- checkout this “2x player asteroids” game on PDP-1
- Thompson even mentioned… he wrote a space ship flying fighting game… FOR TWO (NETWORKED?) PLAYERS! so that could be it? (src)
but there was also pacman!!!
(it is probably completely unrelated but…)
What is Crystal Lang?
“Crystal is a general-purpose, object-oriented programming language, designed and developed by Ary Borenszweig, Juan Wajnerman, Brian Cardiff and more than 300 contributors. With syntax inspired by the language Ruby, it is a compiled language with static type-checking, but specifying the types of variables or method arguments is generally unneeded. Types are resolved by an advanced global type inference algorithm. Crystal is currently in active development. It is released as free and open-source software under the Apache License version 2.0″ (Wiki)
puts "Hello World!"
show me the src https://github.com/crystal-lang
also plz note
- only together we can create a truly free world
- plz support dwaves to keep it up & running!
- (yes the info on the internet is (mostly) free but beer is still not free (still have to work on that))
- really really hate advertisement
- contribute: whenever a solution was found, blog about it for others to find!
- talk about, recommend & link to this blog and articles
- thanks to all who contribute!