GNU Linux bash – tar – how to pack compress backup folder create tar.gz and exclude filetype
# this will create a new compressed version of 'folder-to-pack'
# but will not include any pdf fiels
tar fcvz /path/to/package.tar.gz --exclude='*.pdf' /path/to/folder-to-pack
# automatically include the current date in filename of backup file:
tar fcvz /backups/$(date '+%Y-%m-%d').filename.tar.gz --exclude='*.pdf' /path/to/backup
- only together we can create a truly free world
- plz support dwaves to keep it up & running!
- (yes the info on the internet is (mostly) free but beer is still not free (still have to work on that))
- really really hate advertisement
- contribute: whenever a solution was found, blog about it for others to find!
- talk about, recommend & link to this blog and articles
- thanks to all who contribute!