Update: kvm is also a good alternative, but only on linux hosts, so if the user plans to move vms between linux and windows hosts, virtualbox is the way to go.
Update: 2020-02: VirtualBox 6.1 is available in repository “Debian 10 Buster” also.
was not able to manually download and install
# does not work dpkg -i virtualbox-6.0_6.0.10-132072~Debian~stretch_amd64.deb # complains about missing libcurl3 (libcurl4 is installed)
but this way it works:
# become fancy root su - root # update and upgrade to the latest apt update apt upgrade # install add-apt-repository apt install software-properties-common # make the system trust oracle's recent (2016) public key wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox_2016.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add - add-apt-repository "deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian buster contrib" # again apt update # install apt install virtualbox-6.1 # this entry will be automatically added to sources.list cat /etc/apt/sources.list # This system was installed using small removable media # (e.g. netinst, live or single CD). The matching "deb cdrom" # entries were disabled at the end of the installation process. # For information about how to configure apt package sources, deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian buster contrib # deb-src http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian buster contrib # see the sources.list(5) manual.
cudos to https://tecadmin.net/install-virtualbox-on-debian-10-buster/
liked this article?
- only together we can create a truly free world
- plz support dwaves to keep it up & running!
- (yes the info on the internet is (mostly) free but beer is still not free (still have to work on that))
- really really hate advertisement
- contribute: whenever a solution was found, blog about it for others to find!
- talk about, recommend & link to this blog and articles
- thanks to all who contribute!