it’s so annoying… the brother devices report “toner low” and STOP PRINTING 😀 based on the page-count… not the actual toner-levels. (there used to be “windows” on the side of the toners so you could see (and the device detect) if the toner is actually empty… but those were removed by brother… for probably reason of reckless corruption and profiteering)
Some cheeky printer-manufacturers take it as far as chipping toners and making the device REFUSE (!) to print more than XXXX pages with that toner….
luckily with brother it’s just a software reset… but a hidden one 🙂
- open the toner box
- keep the * (Asterisk) pressed
- K-STD = Black Toner
take the black toner out, shake it a little and then put it back in and reset the toner like this 🙂 (to distribute the toner left in the cardrige evenly inside the cartridge)
THANK FOR THIS DEDICATED HUMAN AND FOR SHARING HIS VALUABLE KNOWLEDGE WITH THE REST OF MANKIND! (would buy him a coffee ANYTIME!)
laser printing & health:
inkjet printers tend to:
- always be empty
- dry up fast and getting them to work after a week of non-printing will need a lot of alcohol and definately cause a little chemical messy accident in every living room
so those laser color printers fix those problems BUT:
- LASER PRINTERS CAUSE AIR POLLUTION!
- PLACE PRINTER AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE FROM SLEEPING AND DINING AND CHILDREN ROOMS! (and ANY ROOM where humans stay in for longer)
- best would be to put them OUTSIDE THE HOUSE/OFFICE!
- or in a air tight sealed compartment with ventilation and filters (expensive)
- THE LEAST EVERY USER CAN DO: INVEST IN HEALTH! ATTACH 3x of THOSE 20 BUCKS FILTERS (yes also expensive but lung cancer and death is “more expensive”) ON THE FAN OUTLETS AND INTAKES!
IT REALLY CATCHES A LOT OF IONIZED TONER DIRT THAT COULD PROBABLY CAUSE LUNG CANCER!
btw: the touch panel of this printer is CATASTROPHIC
really preferred the buttons of the MFC9465 and MFC9460 (get a MFC9465! it even has decent GNU Linux support and when firmware is upgraded, can scan2mail!)
or even better: work on OpenSCAN on Open Source hardware printer, that can
- be build and repaired with little effort
- all parts can be 3D printed cheap
- actually meassures the toner levels
- tries to be as little as a health hazard as possible
- is easy to recycle
- only together we can create a truly free world
- plz support dwaves to keep it up & running!
- (yes the info on the internet is (mostly) free but beer is still not free (still have to work on that))
- really really hate advertisement
- contribute: whenever a solution was found, blog about it for others to find!
- talk about, recommend & link to this blog and articles
- thanks to all who contribute!