is said to work pretty well with the scarlet focusrite: (untested!)
download it here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/kxstudio/
e.g. from this mirror: https://sourceforge.net/projects/kxstudio/files/Live/KXStudio_14.04.2_64bit.iso
(available for linux, OSX! and even windows!)
i have not tested this… but i might try to evaluate it in the context of band-recording and mixing in combination with the Scarlett Studio Focusrite 2i2 recording device, which is not super expensive but said to work well with apple+logic ( i have heared very great results… ).
i wonder if linux can do what logic+apple can do ? 😉
Re: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 by cowboystitching » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:41 am
Ubuntu Studio is a Linux-based operating system designed as a free, open, and powerful platform for creative people to create their art.
Ubuntu Studio is Free and Open Source Software (FOSS), which means it is free to download and use. You can get the source code, study it and modify it. You can redistribute Ubuntu Studio and can even redistribute your modified version. Read more about these freedoms at GNU.org’s Free Software page.
Ubuntu Studio is released every six months, but a long term release (LTS) version is released only every 2 years.
Jack is a low latency capable audio and midi server, designed for pro audio use. It enables all Jack capable applications to connect to each other. A common program for controlling the jack server is Qjackctl (shown in the picture below).
- provides low latencies (less than 5msecs with the right hardware)
- provides completely flexible connections
- also acts as transport for jack-aware applications
Ardour is a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW), suitable for recording, mixing and mastering. Some of its features include:
- Unlimited audio tracks and buses
- Non-destructive, non-linear editing with unlimited undo
- Anything-to-anywhere signal routing
- Unlimited pre- and post-fader plugins
- 32 bit floating point audio path
- Automatic track delay compensation
- Sample accurate automation
- Standard file formats (BWF, WAV, WAV64, AIFF, CAF & more …)
- More than 200 LADSPA & LV2 plugins freely available
- MIDI CC control with 1 click
- Level 2 MIDI Machine Control
- MIDI Timecode (MTC) Master or Slave
- Full integration with all JACK applications
- Video-synced playback, pull up/pull down
Sequencers and Synthesizers
Ubuntu Studio comes installed with other notable applications such as:
- Audacity – Audio Wave Editor
- Qtractor – midi capable DAW
- Hydrogen – Drum machine / Sequencer
- Yoshimi – Software Synthesizer
Virtual Guitar Amps
Rakarrack (preinstalled) and Guitarix are two popular guitar amp simulators.
Gladish will enable you to start applications, make connections between them, and save the whole configuration to file. Gladish is also an alternative to Qjackctl.
There are numerous easy to use audio programming environments available to Ubuntu Studio, such as the preinstalled puredata. Others are installable, such as supercollider, csound and chuck.
Blender is a full fledged 3D content creation suite. You can create 3D models and animate scenes. Blender also has its’ own game engine and is vastly expandable with addons.
- 3D Solids and character modeling
- Scene animation
- Physics and particle functions
- Game engine (create a whole game using only Blender)
- Imaging and compositing
- Highly extensible
Inkscape is a superb vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, CorelDraw, or Xara X, using the W3C standard Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) file format.
GIMP stands for Gnu Image Manipulation Program, and is a similar to Photoshop.
MyPaint is a digital painting tool, designed to work with graphic tablets. It comes with a large collection of brushes, including ink and charcoal.
- Designed for pressure sensitive graphics tablets
- Simple and minimalistic user interface
- Extensive brush creation and configuration options
- Unlimited canvas (you never have to resize)
- Basic layer support
Openshot is a simple video editor for Linux. Add videos, photos and music to create DVD’s, youtube clips and a range of other formats.
- Simple and clean UI
- Intuitive use
- Format support based on ffmpeg
“FFmpeg is the leading multimedia framework, able to decode, encode, transcode, mux, demux, stream, filter and play pretty much anything that humans and machines have created. It supports the most obscure ancient formats up to the cutting edge. No matter if they were designed by some standards committee, the community or a corporation. It contains libavcodec, libavutil, libavformat, libavdevice, libswscale and libswresample which can be used by applications. As well as ffmpeg, ffserver, ffplay and ffprobe which can be used by end users for transcoding, streaming and playing.”
Use DVDStyler to create custom, professional looking DVD’s.
- User-friendly interface with support of drag & drop
- Multiple subtitles and audio tracks
- Design your own DVD menu or select a template
- Create a photo slide show
- support of AVI, MOV, MP4, MPEG, OGG, WMV and other file formats
- support of MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, Xvid, MP2, MP3, AC-3 and other audio and video formats