So what is actually so great about iwar?
1. controls + physics – because of the inertia (taking seconds to accelerate, then drifting) you have the feeling of steering a really large ship. Also the docking-manouveres are genious!
2. Details – when using lateral thrusters you actually see little flames/flares firing out of your space ship
especially well seen during docking manouvers.
Every ship has systems like cpu, crew, weapons, thrusters that can fail when beeing attacked, also the tactics is to target those systems with laser guns to disable them. instead of blindly firing at the whole ship.
The Dreadnaught is not a smal ship but also not a big one. It’s medium sized, it has a crew that automatically repairs damages to the ship’s subsystems. Your ship’s guns can actually fire in front of you and behind you but not at all enemies in very steep angels.
You have all the major planets that actually exist also in the game. You even have a star-map and can travel around those planets thanks to your hyper drive.
this is what mars looks like in the i-war universe:
You can use F188.8.131.52.. keys to get from one console-screen of your ship to the next. But you can also hit the arrow in the bottom right corner and “wander around” in your cockpit looking at your crew members and their screens.
3. story telling – sometimes missions repeat themselves but they all seem pretty logical and not super absurd. Also: There is no magic. Just technology. And a colony that want’s it’s independence. From earth.
also make shure to start the game like this: (-b = 3dfx mode)
“C:ProgrammeParticle SystemsIndependence WarIWar.exe” -b -16 -german
otherwise grafix look software-renderer-SHITTY!
backup link: nGlide100_setup.exe.zip
THE ADVANTAGE OF RUNNING IWAR VIRTUALIZED IS: SNAPSHOTS! 😀 SAVE MISSIONS IN THE MIDDLE AND NOT ONLY AT THE END. MAKING THINGS MUCH EASIER.
this is the i war logo:
uninhabitable planets can be terraformed with bio-bombers, that produce robots and seeds to turn the planet into a furtile one.
Here is a keymap:
X = What’s the next mission objective?
A = Accelerate
Z = Reverse
Enter = Select Laser (TSK)
Enter, Enter = TSK Manual Aim Mode, faster fire rate but manual aim.
Backspace = Select Rockets
U = Undock
F9 = Autopilot same speed
F8 = Autopilot Dock
F6 = Autopilot Approach
L = Activate LDS (Hyperspace Driver)
` = (on macbook that’s the next key left from backspace) Increase LDS-Speed
? = (on macbook that’s left 2nd key left from backspace) decrease LDS-Speed
T = Select Target Ahead
fly close to large ship: T, T = Selectfire sub-systems of the ship as target.
R = select nearest enemy target
, / . = Cycle Through targets
M = Change Target Filter (Friends, Foes, Neutral)
– = (on macbook left from Right-Shift key) Select NAV TARGET (THIS IS IMPORTANT FOR USING AUTOPILOT TO APPROACH TARGET! IT WILL NOT BE AUTOMATICALLY SELECTED WHEN CYCLING THROUGH OBJECT LIST)
Tactics: Lone Wulf / Hit and Run
Your ship has LDS, so use it! 😀
Whenever you are damaged and need time to rest and repair, flee from the battle scene with manually activating the LDS (L) and increasing speed ´.
Single out a enemy ship that is away from the other ships, fly behind it using LDS, deactivate LDS and fire! fire! fire! Then get away before reinforcements can attack your ship.
Does not always work. Watch the shield-energy bar. Turn the least damaged shield towards your enemy. Never turn your back on enemies. (You can fly by while shooting… with the possibility that you hit them from behind causing the most damage)
DESTROYING LARGE SHIPS: Hit them from behind + fly close and hit T, T and fire on sub-systems of the ship.
walk throgh in german: iwar
- only together we can create a truly free world
- plz support dwaves to keep it up & running!
- (yes the info on the internet is (mostly) free but beer is still not free (still have to work on that))
- really really hate advertisement
- contribute: whenever a solution was found, blog about it for others to find!
- talk about, recommend & link to this blog and articles
- thanks to all who contribute!