“The primary reason for the ‘Tainted:‘
- string is to tell kernel debuggers if this is a clean kernel or if anything unusual has occurred.
- Tainting is permanent: even if an offending module is unloaded, the tainted value remains to indicate that the kernel is not trustworthy.” (src)
this can be seen/happens when user installs docker.
hostnamectl; # seen on Icon name: computer-vm Chassis: vm Virtualization: oracle Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) Kernel: Linux 4.19.0-9-amd64 Architecture: x86-64 # find the module that taints the kernel dmesg | grep -i 'taint' [ 11.813287] aufs: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel. [ 11.814959] aufs: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel modinfo aufs filename: /lib/modules/4.19.0-9-amd64/updates/dkms/aufs.ko alias: fs-aufs version: 4.19.17+-20190211 description: aufs -- Advanced multi layered unification filesystem author: Junjiro R. Okajima <aufs-users ÄT lists DOT sourceforge PUNKT net> license: GPL srcversion: 8A12292F77F808E3E213B7B depends: retpoline: Y name: aufs vermagic: 4.19.0-9-amd64 SMP mod_unload modversions parm: brs:use /fs/aufs/si_*/brN (int) parm: allow_userns:allow unprivileged to mount under userns (bool)
- only together we can create a truly free world
- plz support dwaves to keep it up & running!
- (yes the info on the internet is (mostly) free but beer is still not free (still have to work on that))
- really really hate advertisement
- contribute: whenever a solution was found, blog about it for others to find!
- talk about, recommend & link to this blog and articles
- thanks to all who contribute!