what happened to the “modular” computer called EOMA68?
eoma68 ain’t dead yet (article from 2021) but it has gone soooo slow that it might probably just never ship. which would be a bummer for the 1,058 backers 🙁
maybe developing a full blown PC this small was a bit too eager (but then that is all that SmartPhones are).
$235,250 raised of $150,000 goal on https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop
sounds like 4 years after the start of this project, they got a hand full of working PCB boards
it’s a start X-D
but they need to really hurry because the competition ain’t sleeping
free open source hardware: what can users do?
where the user controls the program
not the program controls the user
- ask and pay (!) for products that respect the user’s privacy
- COVER TAPE FRONT CAM OF (surveillance) SmartPhone
- use great Open Source software like the easy to install GNU Linux Debian 10
- use LibreOffice instead of M$ Office or Google Docs
- it is Java based and works well (Writer = Word, Calc = Excel)
- use Mozilla (ex Netscape) Firefox instead of Chrome browser!
- it is available for ALL PLATFORMS (Windows, OSX, Linux)
- even as App for Android and IPhone
- while surely not perfect, Mozilla at least seems to try to protect the user’s private data (aka not upload it to Google/Facebook)
- alternative Smart Phones
- affordable! Pine64Phone NICE! https://www.pine64.org/pinephone/
- well at $749.00 it is rather pricey but still cheaper than the latest IPhone (which is guranteed to spy on the user)
- remove Google from existing SmartPhones
- alternatives to Google:
- superb picture search
- runs on Amazon cloud… well X-D
- acts like a proxy between the user and Google
- alternatives to gmail: https://mail.tutanota.com/
- use Thunderbird and Enigmail
- it will store the user’s mails ONLY in encrypted format (even when using gmail’s infrastructure)
- stay away from the cloud madness as much as the user can
- only share absolutely essential data with “the cloud” aka hybrid-cloud where the user stores 100% of data on a local server and uploads only the data that is not privacy intrusive and that really needs to be easily accessible via clouds
- instead of: cloud per default
- now the toughest: uninstall WhatsApp, WeChat and Telegram or move on to a different device not installing those Apps there
- they are all privacy intruding Apps
- or: remove the sim card, move the sim card over to (of course) Librem 5 or LineageOS enabled Phone
- leave the non-sim enabled phone with WhatsApp, WeChat and Telegram at home, not carrying around
ASK YOUR GOVERNMENT TO BUILD THEIR OWN COMPUTERS! 🙂
- with a little investment! it can be done! see “building a RISCV based computer”
- this also needs to be done “ANYWAY” if citizens should be able to compute safely and securely in order to tackle the Intel SPECTRE and MELTDOWN problems
liked this article?
- only together we can create a truly free world
- plz support dwaves to keep it up & running!
- (yes the info on the internet is (mostly) free but beer is still not free (still have to work on that))
- really really hate advertisement
- contribute: whenever a solution was found, blog about it for others to find!
- talk about, recommend & link to this blog and articles
- thanks to all who contribute!