ubuntu 10.12’s unity 3d desktop performes rather slow on my QuadCore Xeon OSX 10.6.8, so i thought i try to improve performance by properly installing the guest additions:
open a terminal in ubuntu:
1. optional, but i recommend it because copy & pasting commands is just much more comfortable than typo’s: install ssh server:
apt-get install ssh
-> look for 192.168…. this is your ip
now open a terminal on the unix-compatible-host: ssh email@example.com….
2. get linux kernel headers (sources?)
apt-get install linux-headers-3.5.0-25-generic
3. download guest additions
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-additions-iso
4. mount iso
sudo mount -o loop /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso /media/cdrom0
5. install guest additions
you should see something like this:
Verifying archive integrity… All good.
Uncompressing VirtualBox 4.2.10 Guest Additions for Linux……….
VirtualBox Guest Additions installer
Removing installed version 4.2.10 of VirtualBox Guest Additions…
Removing existing VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules …done.
Removing existing VirtualBox non-DKMS kernel modules …done.
Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel modules
Doing non-kernel setup of the Guest Additions …done.
Starting the VirtualBox Guest Additions …done.
Installing the Window System drivers
Installing X.Org Server 1.13 modules …done.
Setting up the Window System to use the Guest Additions …done.
You may need to restart the hal service and the Window System (or just restart
the guest system) to enable the Guest Additions.
Installing graphics libraries and desktop services components …done.
innotek is a software company located in Stuttgart, in Southern Germany. Since its creation in 1992, a team of international software specialists has been focusing entirely on the development of high-tech system software. We have been involved in the development of PC virtualization technology from the very beginning and staff Europe’s largest and most experienced team of PC virtualization software experts.
innotek operates its business at the company headquarters in Stuttgart, Germany as well as in Dresden, Berlin and the Russian Federation.
Telephone: +49 (0) 7151 60405-0
Fax: +49 (0) 7151 60405-111
innotek is incorpored in Weinstadt, Germany (Register court: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 264652, VAT ID: DE 812 992 021, Managing Director: Thomas Schröder).
- only together we can create a truly free world
- plz support dwaves to keep it up & running!
- (yes the info on the internet is (mostly) free but beer is still not free (still have to work on that))
- really really hate advertisement
- contribute: whenever a solution was found, blog about it for others to find!
- talk about, recommend & link to this blog and articles
- thanks to all who contribute!