this is a crowd-funding project that still needs funding…. if you can help! please chip in 🙂 https://www.crowdsupply.com/gnubee/personal-cloud-1
Tour of LibreCMC and openmediavault
We took a screencast of LibreCMC and some screenshots of openmediavault running on the GnuBee Personal Cloud 1. Have a look! Read the full update.
We’re happy to confirm the GnuBee Personal Cloud 1 will ship with 100% libre software and firmware – there won’t be any binary blobs! This has real-world ramifications, the most immediate of which is it actually lowers the cost of production, which is in part why we can lower our funding goal. Read the full update.
First, thanks for everyone’s interesting in GnuBee! A lot of people have been asking about various benchmarks. This update has some initial benchmark results and also answers some other common questions. Read the full update.
We’ve received a bunch of requests for a 3.5” drive option. On one hand, 3.5” drives are generally cheaper than 2.5” drives. On the other hand, 2.5” drives are smaller, more power efficient, and have a wider selection of SSD options. If the GB-PC1 reaches its funding goal, we will very likely follow up with a 3.5” version.
In short, we expect the units shipped to backers to be 100% free of binary blobs. Below is a longer explanation. The NAS supports Debian, OpenMediaVault, LEDE and LibreCMC distribution. Source code including Linux 4.9 and U-boot, some documentations, as well as the BoM & schematics (PDF) can be found on Github.
Features & Specifications
- MediaTek MT7621A
- dual core, multi thread (Linux kernel sees four cores)
- 880 MHz, overclockable to 1.2 GHz)
- 512 MB DDR3 RAM (maximum amount for the MediaTek chip)
- soldered to main board
- microSD card slot (tested up to 64 GB cards so far)
- 6 x 2.5” drives (HDD, SSD, or mix and match; drives not included)
- 2 x Gigabit Ethernet
- 1 x USB 3.0 port
- 2 x USB 2.0 ports
- Serial port (3-pin J1 connector or 3.5 mm audio-type jack)
- 12 VDC @ 3 A maximum
- 5.5 mm x 2.1 mm, center-positive barrel jack
- Bounding box: 8.5” (L) x 2.75” (W) x 5.5” (H)
- Weight: ~210 g (without drives)
- 2 x anodized aluminum side plates
- 6 x threaded brackets and screws
- 24 x drive screws (four per drive)
- Sources & Documentation:
3.5″ Version would be next: https://www.crowdsupply.com/gnubee/personal-cloud-1#future-versions