it’s so annoying… the brother devices report „toner low“ and STOP PRINTING 😀 based on the page-count… not the actual toner-levels. (there used to be „windows“ on the side of the toners so you could see (and the device detect) if the toner is actually empty)
Some cheeky printer-manufacturers take it as far as chipping toners and making the device REFUSE (!) to print more than XXXX pages with tat toner….
luckily with brother it’s just a software reset… but a hidden one 🙂
- open the toner box
- keep the * (Asterisk) pressed
- K-STD = Black Toner
take the black toner out, shake it a little and then put it back in and reset the toner like this 🙂
THANKS FOR THIS AMAZING HOWTO! 🙂
i was hoping for a similar procedure for the MFC-6490CW
had no luck with this:
- Hold down the „Menu“ key. (for MFC-6890CDW it is the „Copy“ key)
- While still holding the menu key, unplug the machine and plug it back in.
- Do not let go of the key until the machine reboots and the screen says „MAINTENANCE“.
- Hit the following keys: 7, 6, 4, black start (did not work for me… it does nothing)
- The machine will then go into „power purge“ or deep clean mode for about 5-7 minutes.
- When complete hit: 99 to get out of maintanence and reboot.
- Be sure to have extra ink cartidges on hand as it does use up a lot of ink but this process works the best every time when the printer wont print.
also this did not work as expected:
- power up until „blue screen“
- hit menu button, then hit *, 2, 8, 6, 4
- it says: „Replace Y“
- hit: 7, 6
- it says: „CLEANING ALL“
- hit: 0
- it says: „HD_CHG_P ALL“
- hit key: Black Start
- it says: „PRINTER ERROR!“
- hit: 99 to leave MAINTENANCE MODE
- DID NOT WORK. GREAT! TO THE BIN?
it is a ink jet printer so maybe it needs cleaning: