netscape -> firefox -> google?
how independent is the mozilla foundation? and why is it cooperating with google so much?
they are not even on the html5 WHATWG team that creates the next version of html5?
or yes they are – by the name of former netscape-employee now @ Google Inc. Ian Hickson.
Probably that is why firefox is using google’s geo-location services, sharing the user’s IP address.
He is/was involved into the development of bugzilla3 and graffiti.
Who is behind html5?
w3c, microsoft, apple, google
Your privacy is extremely important to us, and Firefox never shares your location without your permission. When you visit a page that requests your information, you’ll be asked before any information is shared with the requesting website and our third-party service provider.
By default, Firefox uses Google Location Services to determine your location by sending:
- your computer’s IP address,
- information about the nearby wireless access points, and
- a random client identifier, which is assigned by Google, that expires every 2 weeks.
The information is exchanged over an encrypted connection to protect your privacy. Once Firefox has your location information, it passes it to the website that requested it. At no time is the name or location of the website you are visiting, or are any cookies, ever shared with Google Location Services.
Neither Mozilla or Google will ever use the information collected by Google Location Services to identify or spy on you.
For more information about your privacy, you should also read:
more information on hixie:
The following sites are available:
- Internet related matters: tests, specs, commentary and advocacy.
- Free software I have developed.
- My personal website.
- Hixie’s Natural Log: my Web log.
- A spam catching domain.
- Academic projects and reports I have written. (Long obsolete.)
You may also be interested in some of my other sites:
- Pictures, movies and songs of cats.
- A basically dead site which used to be the Web’s leading authority on the character Salem from the TV show Sabrina, the Teenage Witch.
- The Mozilla Porn Rendering Library’s Web site.
- A dummy Web log used to test pingback and other Web log technologies in development.